Wednesday, October 7, 2009

The Golden Handshake

For all of you folks that have never worked in a restaurant, let me tell you a little something about what we call THE GOLDEN HANDSHAKE.

Scenario:
Table of four...great night...great food...loved your wine and food suggestions. Your new best friends.
Its time for them to leave, and on their way out the door, they stop to ooze compliments. "Oh, you are such a great waiter, the food was phenomenal - the service even better. This was such a memorable dining experience!"

The warning Signs:
1. Patrons thoroughly enjoyed the evening.
2. Patrons lavish you with praise as they prepare to leave.

Sounds good so far, right?

3. Over-zealous praise continues as they exit the building.
4. The credit card receipt is folded in half and hidden in the folder.

Before you even open the folder, you state to any server within earshot... I think I just got THE GOLDEN HANDSHAKE. Sure enough, as you tentatively open the folder, you see a pathetic 5% tip added onto the bill. A 500 dollar bill I might add!

HELLO! What a slap in the face! Or the pocketbook! Whatever!

Your first thought - I have just finished wining and dining these people for 3 hours and that is it????? Apparently they need the money more than I do! I guess my "less than minimum wage" is enough in their eyes...or perhaps just the sheer joy of having served their asses for 3 hours is reward in and of itself! Please!
Don't misunderstand me - praise goes straight to the soul. It is much appreciated in an underappreciated profession. Compliments are great - but cash is king!

Advice for the Day:

Great meal + great service = 20% gratuity

No comments:

Post a Comment